Corporate Crime including Fraud, Bribery and Corruption
Companies and the executives controlling them have come under increasing scrutiny in the UK with the introduction of legislation that focusses on companies and their senior management. Bivonas Law has a wealth of experience in relation to:
- Adequate compliance procedure under the Bribery Act 2010
- Anti-money laundering procedures
- Cartel investigations
- Fraud investigations and prosecutions
- Internal investigations
- Liaising with various prosecuting authorities in domestic and multi-jurisdictional cases
- Advising in relation to individual accountability of those in the banking sector pursuant to the Financial Conduct Authority’s introduction of rules under the Senior Managers Regime
The Bribery Act was introduced in 2010 and the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) is the lead agency in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for investigating and prosecuting cases of domestic and overseas corruption. Companies now have to have adequate compliance procedures in place to ensure they do not commit the offences under the Act of making a bribe, taking a bribe or failing to prevent a bribe being made. These procedures need to be implemented in all jurisdictions in which the companies operate, as the jurisdictional reach of the Act is worldwide.
Since February 2014, Deferred Prosecution Agreements (DPAs) have been introduced into the UK and companies can now avoid a criminal prosecution by co-operating with the SFO at an early stage. Bivonas Law has experience in conducting internal investigations, advising on criminal liability and putting in place adequate procedures.
Bivonas Law has been dealing with the SFO for 19 years. We have successfully advised and defended numerous company directors facing SFO investigations or prosecutions.
Bivonas Law also specialises in representing companies and their executives who have been accused of corporate fraud through:
- Asset stripping
- Fraudulent trading
- Share ramping
- Publishing false information to the detriment of investors
- Phoenix companies
Bivonas Law has the necessary experience to work with companies and their executives to obtain the best outcome in cases involving allegations of criminal conduct that involve a broad spectrum of fraud, bribery and corruption offences.