HM Revenue and Customs (‘HMRC’)
HMRC can commence criminal and civil investigations against UK tax payers. Bivonas Law can advise in relation to both types of investigation and work in conjunction with accountants to seek to head off a prosecution or mitigate interest and penalties.
We have dealt with both criminal prosecutions and cases proceeding in the First-tier Tribunal (Tax) and the Upper Tribunals.
We have dealt with:
- Investigations and interviews with HMRC
- VAT assessments and appeals
- Carousel fraud and MTIC (missing trader intra-community) fraud
- Detention and seizure of goods by the UK Border Force (including goods stored in warehouses, detained at ports, at airports and at international train stations)
- HMRC raids, seizure and investigations
- Judicial reviews including claims for the urgent release of goods and damages for unlawful detentions and injunctions
- Disclosure and legal privilege issues
- Money laundering issues
- Abuse of powers by HMRC
- Irregularities and place of supply
- Winding up petitions by HMRC
- Applications for provisional liquidators and freezing injunctions where HM Revenue and Customs allege a tax debt