Manraj SomalConsultant Solicitor
Areas of Expertise
Manraj specialises in white collar/serious crime, civil fraud, internal investigations and tax litigation. He also undertakes family work for high-net worth individuals. Manraj was formerly a partner at a prominent listed City law firm and the UK head of corporate crime at KPMG.
Manraj has acted for individuals, celebrities, companies in some of the most prominent investigations and proceedings brought by the/ Crown Prosecution Service, Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Reporting Council, HM Revenue and Customs, National Crime Agency, Serious Fraud Office, CFTC, and the US Department of Justice. He has also carried out internal investigations on behalf of companies which have resulted in successful prosecutions of former employees and/or civil recovery.
Manraj is renowned for his strategic thinking and effectively the best possible outcomes for his clients. Manraj has often been successful in cases where other legal professionals have advised that the client’s prospects of success are limited but he ensures that clients are given realistic and pragmatic advice from the outset. His advice is highly sought after by high-net worth individuals and corporate clients. Manraj’s work is often multi-jurisdictional which involves working with a variety of government agencies and professionals such as accountants, tax advisers, lawyers, tax, crypto/blockchain analysts and other experts.
- UK and US financial crime and regulatory risk assessment and compliance programme for a global financial brokerage business and financial services division in response to an investigation by the SFO and FCA
- Ground up review and re-working of financial crime systems for a payment services firm; including enterprise-wide risk assessment, policy review, system design and implementation.
- Group wide financial crime compliance policy review and governance design for a major global bank.
- Internal investigation into post integration issues for a multi-national travel company in sensitive jurisdictions in relation to bribery and money laundering issues.
- Internal investigation into corrupt payments received by an employee on behalf of a major oil company. The investigation involved acquiring data and evidence from several jurisdictions. Following the investigation, our findings were submitted to the authorities.
- Strategic adviser to a corporate accused of bribery and corruption by the SFO.
- Representing members of a large political party in relation to allegations of corruption, money laundering, murder, and accounting irregularities. Following a lengthy investigation, the members of the political party were not charged.
- Advising a UK Hedge Fund in respect of US$600 million arbitration against a major UK and US bank in relation to disputed redemptions.
- Successfully represented a LIBOR derivatives trader in an investigation brought by the SFO and FCA.
- Representing an individual in connection with allegations of serious organised crime and duty evasion on alcoholic products and money laundering with alleged losses to the revenue exceeding £100 million.
- Client acquitted two weeks prior to trial for duty evasion on a large consignment of tobacco.