- Advised and represented a director charged with offering unregulated high value fraudulent immigration services.
- Acted for a client facing large scale conspiracy to defraud Transport for London.
- Represented a client in a large scale complex high value FCA/SFO investigation (including Section 2 interview).
- Acted for an accountant charged with high value VAT fraud facing complex proceeds of crime applications.
- Represented an individual alleged to have held themselves out as being a practicing barrister on a high value charge of fraud and perverting the course of justice.
- Advised and represented an individual charged with conspiracy to supply unlicensed pharmaceuticals to the UK.
- Advising a company director in relation to a “High Yield” investment scheme fraud exceeding £67 million. The investigation commenced following complaints made to Action Fraud by investors. The investigation was not just confined to the UK, but also the USA, where the FBI became involved.
"While preparing for Brexit, the UK Parliament had to legislate on many things including sanctions. This article examines the current sanctions regime in the UK and explores the two alternatives on how things may develop dependant on a deal or no-deal Brexit."
"Trade sanctions are an important political tool in international diplomacy. However, for business they are a potential legal mindfield and proper care needs to be taken to avoid the potential consequences of a breach."
Areas of Expertise
Admitted as a solicitor in 1997, George specialises in fraud matters and regularly conducts complex and high profile cases. He has particular expertise in advising clients who find themselves under active investigation by the Serious Fraud Office, Metropolitan Police, HM Revenue and Customs, National Crime Agency and the Police Central e-Crimes Unit. George also acts for individuals facing investigation under Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency and health professional regulatory bodies.
George is an expert in defending highly complex confiscation, cash seizures and restraint order proceedings. Noted for his advocacy skills, George holds higher rights of audience and regularly appears in all Criminal Courts.
George also acts for companies and individuals facing regulatory investigations by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), including shadowing “Dawn Raids”, money laundering, highly complex fraud, bribery and corruption investigations and offences, including direct and indirect tax evasion and illegal trading.
George is a member of the International Bar Association, Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers, Solicitors’ Association of Higher Court Advocates, Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers, Solicitors’ and The Fraud Lawyers Association.
“Dawn Raids” (SFO/ FCA)
Unexplained Wealth Orders - UWOs (Criminal Finance Act 2017) - “To Be or Not to Be”
Nowhere to Hide… “Will You Wear a Wire?”
The day after tomorrow – Brexit and Sanctions
Trade Sanctions – “A Rock and a Hard Place?”
Unexplained Wealth Orders “Diamonds are Forever?”
Unexplained Wealth Orders – “To Be or Not to Be”